Reaching Unchurched People Today
- Become a “God-watcher” of your community, a loving observer of those who are without Christ.
- Help those in your church face the reality: We are on a greatly secularized mission field.
- Spread the news: People without Christ are more receptive to be reached than ever before in your lifetime.
- Use the key entry point: There is hope for your hopelessness.
- Influence by the positive, not the negative: Don’t talk about what you’re against; focus on what you are for.
- Encourage Christians to reorient their self-perceptions: Missionaries aren’t just people who go overseas. Every Christian is a missionary, everywhere, all the time. A trip to Wal-Mart is a short-term mission trip.
- Change your theme, tempo, and focus from “business as usual” to a sense of urgency.
- Wrestle with this challenge: You can’t reach unchurched people effectively using the methods you used before.
- Preach, teach, and communicate a sense of urgency. It is personal: If you don’t apply outreach methods that work, your church will slowly dwindle, age, lose momentum, and die.
- Communicate the signs that a move of God has already begun in the U.S. You have two choices: Wake up and make changes, or sleep right through it.
Kent Hunter, founder of Church Doctor Ministries, is known as the Church Doctor. His most recent e-books are The Future Is Now and The J-Dog Journey, available at no cost. Contact him at (800) 626-8515, by email, Twitter, Facebook, or visit www.churchdoctor.org.